Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tina Dico / W Magazine

Fashion icon or not, Dico is a superstar in Denmark. She headlines massive outdoor festivals, where her fans often “sing along so loudly that sometimes I can’t even hear myself,” she says. And on the streets, she’s unable to run an errand without being stopped for autographs and photos. Here in the States, though, Dico is still playing small venues like the Highline Ballroom in New York and the Roxy Theatre in Los Angeles and occasionally appearing just as the opening act for bigger names. And she’s perfectly fine with that, thank you very much. “Fame is not what I strive for,” says Dico, who has called London home for the past seven years. “I’m sort of in the midst of parting with a lot of my ideas of what my career and life should be like and what, you know, was my dream and [whether it has] lived up. Fame in itself is not going to make anyone happy.” (more at wmagazine.com)

Tickets for Tina Dico Sep 29th are available here